What is a Fashion Influencer?
Fashion influencers emerged with the advent of social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
While the term ‘influencer’ has reached popularity in the digital era, the role has roots in fashion in the pre-internet times when fashion icons and tastemakers shaped public opinion through their dressing choices, as depicted by traditional media platforms.
In contemporary parlance, a fashion influencer is an individual who delivers fashion style and purchasing advice to a large group of people who follow them on social media.
Influencers collaborate with brands to review fashion products, share dressing advice, and showcase their personal fashion style to influence their following, drive consumer engagement, and increase sales.
What Makes a Fashion Influencer?
- Digitally Savvy – Most fashion influencers excel at leveraging digital platforms to engage their audience. Their proficiency extends beyond merely posting content to mastering the algorithms and metrics that drive online visibility.
- Trust – Fashion influencers have subject-matter expertise, authenticity, and consistency that allow them to offer insightful and trustworthy recommendations.
- Business Acumen – Fashion influencers are entrepreneurial and collaborate with brands to reach mutual marketing objectives.
What is the Difference Between a Fashion Influencer and a Trendsetter?
The roles of a fashion influencer and trendsetter overlap yet remain distinct.
Influencers wield power primarily through social media channels, sharing style tips, fashion critiques, and recommendations.
Unlike trendsetters, influencers do not introduce or reinterpret existing fashion styles but rather showcase the existing fashion trends to their audience.
What Are the Examples of Fashion Influencers?
- Chiara Ferragni – An Italian fashion influencer who transitioned her fashion blog into a full-blown lifestyle brand.
- Olivia Palermo – Collaborator with several fashion brands; Olivia is the face of several fashion campaigns.
- Leandra Medine Cohen – Creator of Man Repeller, a humor and fashion blog turned media company, Leandra has redefined fashion critique and reporting.
- Alexa Chung – A model turned fashion influencer, Chung has been a guest judge on numerous fashion shows and has her own clothing line.
Straddling the realms of fashion, media, and entrepreneurship, fashion influencers occupy a unique space in the fashion ecosystem.
Unlike trendsetters, influencers are not originators but curators and amplifiers, directing the attention of their digitally engaged audience to existing fashion trends.
Keep up with the latest in fashion, beauty and style!
After years of managing hundreds of fashion brands from London's office of a global retailer, Mandy has ventured into freelancing. Connected with several fashion retailers and media platforms in the US, Australia, and the UK, Mandy uses her expertise to consult for emerging fashion brands create top-notch content as an editorial strategist for several online publications.